Saturday, August 31, 2013

Home Sweet Home

I picked up a book at the Goodwill a few days ago that is entitled Travel Writing by L. Peat O'Neil. I love to write, I love to share my thoughts (erratic as they are) and I love to be able to go back and see how much fun we've had over the years.

Since school starts back up for me in a few days and we are headed "home" on Monday, I figured I had better zip through through this book so I could be more in-tuned with what I need to say when writing a blog post.

I got to thinking about this question: What does home really mean? Is home where you hang your hat? Is home where your loved ones are? Is home where we feel the most comfortable? Where IS home, exactly?

Home is two different things. One, where you reside and Two, where you feel ties, roots, and connections.

I have lived in one state all of my childhood and to me, Oregon is and always will be, home. When we moved to Oklahoma, the Sooner state became "home" simply because that is where we raised our two children until they went off to college. Now, we want desperately to go back to Oregon (HOME!) but in the meantime, our RV has become home and wherever that RV sits, that is home.

I cannot explain it really. When we head west, my heart swells at the sight of the mountains with their snowcapped peaks. I want to break out in my own rendition of "...purple mountain majesty!" as we are speeding by "... amber waves of grain..." and when we get far enough to see the foamy waves of the Pacific Ocean, only then can I finish "...from sea to shining sea!" The ocean makes me feel at peace. This is home...

Family is important to me too... without them, home would seem empty and lonely. It appears that many of the Demorest side are moving back to the area where my parents live and they grew up. This makes me so happy because I miss our family gatherings where all of the aunts, uncles, cousins, and parents are in attendance. These days, that is rare in any family but for this family, this is good news!

Where is home for you?

See ya on the road!
Bonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment